Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Imperial Assault: Darth Vader painted!






I painted the whole model in a medium grey, then applied a black wash over it all.
I then painted all lit parts in white, then put colours over the white.
I then watered down (a lot) a tiny bit of red, and washed it onto areas that I thought might be illuminated by the lightsaber.
I then washed it all in black again, except for lit parts.
Finally, I painted over the lightsaber one last time to make sure it was completely smooth and bright, and did a little bit more of red wash on the parts the lighsaber might be illuminating.

By not using black paint, but applying black as numerous washes, it meant that the shapes of the model were naturally shaded and all the bumps, folds and ridges remain visible in the paint itself. I quite like how it turned out - even though the model is dark, all the details of the model remained visible with a slightly lighter shading of grey showing.

I haven't ever tried to paint lighting on a model before, and I tried to keep it subdued since the cloth is black.

4 comments:

  1. I love him!
    Your lighting effect is grand -- it is very fiery and dramatic. If this was your first miniature with lighting effects, I can't wait to see what you do in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't know how to do it, so I just tried tinting the areas with watered down red, and it turned out :)

      Delete
  2. Great saber effect! Very well painted.

    ReplyDelete