Friday, November 12, 2010

more figure-base experiments

Okay, a while back I was trying to figure out how to have proper scenery-based figures, like in other table top miniatures games, with the idea of having swappable bases - so a figure could be pulled off its base, and stuck on a different one, depending upon the type of terrain being played on.

That experiment didn't work well. So, now I have a new idea. Instead of swapping bases, I'll just buy more figures, and have matching sets of figures, based for different types of terrain that I play upon - indoors, grass, snow and rocky wasteland.

I also want to make the figure's base blend into the terrain better. I don't like that there's a big round ring of plastic around the outside of the base. So, my first experiment was to flock the sides of the base, and see how that looked.

What I noticed with this, is that it looks much better, as there is only 'ground' beneath the figure. No black plastic or painted plastic band around the outside of the figure's base. I quite like this. However, it is still a clearly visible vertical edge around the base... So, I'm working on experiment two now. Using green stuff, I've made sloping edges around the base of some miniatures. The idea is that the base slopes down naturally into the tabletop, and when flocked, I am hoping the base will appear to 'grow' up out of the table top!

Here's a photo of the green stuff. I have to leave it for around 24 hours to make sure it is completely set, before flocking and painting them. I can picture in my mind how I want them to look, and I hope it works out :) No more vertical edges around the miniatures' feet! As I had some prepared green stuff left over, I stuck it on the bases to form some rocks.

Basing figures this way means they can't be stuck on a 1" grid map, but they should be perfect for gridless tabletop gaming. I'll post again tomorrow or the day after, to show what they look like finished.

1 comment:

  1. Cool. I've tried to make custom bases on my figures. I used a sandy style. Here's the blog entry: